Subject: Problems with 3c905C NIC in a Dell 410
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: jvotaw@dev.tivoli.com <jvotaw@dev.tivoli.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2000 14:17:56
Hello,

I am trying to install NetBAS 1.4.2 on a Dell Precision 410
Workstation.  Everything works fine but I am having some problems with the
on-board NIC, which is a 3c905C.

Specifically, I have narrowed the problem down to running

	ifconfig ex0 <myIP>

I have set it so that the startup scripts don't automatically configure
that interface.  The kernel sees the card just fine (reports it as a
3c905B), and I can do several other ifconfigs (netmask, media,
mediaopt) .. but when I try to give it an IP with ifconfig, the link light
goes out.  I haven't been able to revive it after that.  Looking at the
status with ifconfig shows that it is not available (or "no cable" or
something -- don't have the machine in front of me).  I can ifconfig down
and up it and it will look fine, but I still get no link light and no
operation.

Ideas?  I'm wondering if Dell customized the 3c905C chipset just a little
and the NetBSD driver can't handle those changes?

Any help would be appreciate.  Thanks for your time,

	-Joel