Subject: Re: Why cant tutorial be in *understandable* terms?
To: Mark R. Nathan <mark@nathan.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2000 21:01:15
    Date:        Fri, 7 Jul 2000 02:45:11 -0700
    From:        "Mark R. Nathan" <mark@nathan.net>

When it says ...

  | where ${CFDIR} is the root of the cf directory

it means that, not that CFDIR is the root of the cf directory.

So...

  | m4 ${/usr/pkg/share/sendmail/cf} /m4/cf.m4 miraboo.com.mc > miraboo.com.mc

is wrong, you don't want the ${ }, nor the space, there, just

	m4 /usr/pkg/share/sendmail/m4/cf.m4 miraboo.com.mc > miraboo.com.cf

Note the "cf" on the end not "m4" - if it weren't for the fortunate accident
with the variable name syntax, you'd have destroyed your mc file.

For NetBSD in general, it is easier to put the miraboo.com.mc file
in  /usr/pkg/share/sendmail/cf and be in that directory, and just say
	make miraboo.com.cf

  | Would someone kindly clue me in on this?  If the syntax is different,
  | I sure wish the NetBSD website would fill in the gaps.

This is not really a NetBSD issue - it is unix of all kinds (the free ones
and the ones you pay for).  There's no way that the NetBSD we site could
really pretend to teach unix in general.  On the other hand, there are lots
of books around that are intended for that.

kre