Subject: tape drive problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/05/2000 15:51:21
Hi,

  I wrote some tapes on a SCSI tape drive a while ago and forgot to verify
that I could read them.  Recently, I needed to read them and now I'm having
problems.

  Tapes written under NetBSD-1.4 (most likely), tape drive:

st0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <CONNER, CTT8000-S, 1.17> SCSI2 1/sequential removable

  I lost the actual text of how they were written ... but I assume it was via dd.

  Tapes to be read under NetBSD-1.4.2 on same tape drive.

  I am now getting I/O errors and the message "st0: block wrong size,
nnn blocks residual".  "mt status" says:

	xxx[44]# mt stat
	SCSI tape drive, residual=0
	ds=13<WriteProtect,Mounted>
	er=0
	blocksize: 512 (0, 0, 0, 0)
	density: 69 (0, 0, 0, 0)

I can't read the tape with dd with any bs=yyy I have tried.

Does anyone have any helpful clues for me?  I thought these SCSI tapes
didn't have to be blocked in the same way old 1/2" tapes needed.

Thanks.

--
Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu