Subject: Re: scsi cable problems?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Nick <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/04/2000 21:13:19
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 08:33:44PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 11:50:55PM -0400, Nick wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > An update... If I unplug the cdrom drive from the scsi bus, the entire
> > set up seems to be stable (I just did a few builds of kernels while doing
> > repeated 'find /' and didn't have any problems.  Could the problem be
> > that the converter that goes from 68 pin to 50 pin (to allow the cdrom
> > drive to plug into a 68 pin ribbon) needs to terminate the upper eight
> > bits?  Maybe it is only terminating 8 bits total instead of all 16?
>
> Possible. Another issue could be the lengh of the whole SCSI bus
> (just ran into this today).

Bingo, I can delay the scsi bus resets if I remove a device or two from
the chain but after about 6 hours it will still lock up.  The only way I
have found to make it stable is if I remove the external chain completely.

This is kind of bad because I wanted this AlphaStation 200 to be my file
server.  Now it looks like I will need to get another scsi adapter and
fill BOTH pci slots (unless I settle for fast/narrow).

Nick Maniscalco