Subject: Re: Printer setup
To: Mathew Richardson <mrr@djinesys.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2000 21:54:18
Your question is a little vague, Mathew.  Have you made any attempts to
print with it yet?  If so, what have you tried, and what happened?  Have
you tried reading through some of the relavant man-pages (or grabbing a
book on UNIX administration)?  Andrew's answer is succinct, but leaves
some gaping holes if you don't know where to begin...  (For some info on
where to begin, see the URL near the botton of this email.  I think that
that's about my only FreeBSD bookmark.  (^&)

For most purposes, my preference is to stick GhostScript in between the
application and the printer, and tell the applications to print
postscript.

If the Z52 is closely related to the 5700, you might see if GhostScript's
lexm5700m driver works.  (When I was interested in some of the Lexmark
inkjets, I heard a rumor that someone had a working monochrome driver, but
I didn't know when/if it would get into GhostScript.  I'm 99% sure that
that was for the 5700, so this is probably that self-same driver.)

For raw text, a fairly basic test might be to hook it up to your parallel
port (if any) and try setting up a printer spool with /dev/lpt0.  If you
can print straight ASCII text that way, you at least have _something_.
(You may have to do end-of-line conversions (CR and/or LF) to make it work
correctly.)

I think that a good general reference/tutorial on printer setup can be
found on the FreeBSD web-pages, if Mathew doesn't want to wade through
man-pages.  The URL is:

  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing.html

...you might quibble with some of the decisions that the FreeBSD handbook
advocates.  Particularly, I don't like trusting automated filters to
always know what I want to do.  And, perhaps because I only have one
physical printer connected, I prefer the idea of creating distinct printer
spools for different kinds of printing tasks.  (Low-res, normal res, even
pages, odd pages, plain text, ...)

But, quibbles aside, it is readable and covers most of the things that you
might want to know about setting up a printer.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com