Subject: Re: Cardbus + pci bridge support
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/28/2000 15:39:22
On Sun, 28 May 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 06:06:13PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>
>  > > Just to clarify -- this is a 10/100 LAN + Modem, right?  Cardbus model?
>  >
>  > Well, I don't think multi-function cards work with the Cardbus code.
>  > There is some weirdness with the rbus allocation that I don't understand
>  > and that I don't know how to fix.
>
> "Multi-function" cardbus cards should work fine... at least, I've verified
> on a Xircom with the X3201-3 tulip clone + modem that it seems to
> work.
>
> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>

Just a data point:  I've *never* been able to successfully use my multi-
function PCMCIA card (3COM 574 modem + 10Mbps LAN card) when connected
to the cardbus system.  I end up with 4 pcmcia* devices configured into
the system and I the system panics if I every 'ifconfig ep0 down'.

This same card works great if I simply leave out the cbb* and cardbus*
devices from the kernel so that the pcmcia* devices attach to pcic*.

But of course, my laptop still panics if I enable PCIBIOS et al to get
the cardbus chipset to be initialized properly.  Perhaps I'm just lucky
enough to have a badly behaved machine...

I'll sendpr the problems on Tuesday when I am back at work.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."