Subject: Rebuilt packages, problems. (Mesa, Battalion)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/2000 09:39:23
We have a new version of Mesa, I see.  I am particularly struck by two
problems that it seems to have with Battalion, and I was wondering if
anyone knows more about them.  (For those who don't know, Battalion is a
3D game, built on top of Mesa; Mesa, in turn, is an implementation of the
OpenGL 3D graphics API.)  The problems are:

 * Wire-frame mode no longer works.  It briefly flashes into wireframe
   (one frame is rendered that way), then skips into a polygon
   mode---withOUT depth-checking.  (The result almost looks like the
   lowest-quality polygon mode, except that you can see the eyes of your
   monster, say, from the back of the head.)

 * In full detail mode, the forground has a row of polygons being
   drawn very brightly.  It could almost be a weird specular highlight.
   (However, if you look, you may notice that things like roads or
   monsters can be rendered in the wrong colors.)

For reference: Mesa-3.1, battalion-1.4; both built from pkgsrc sup'ed in
the past week.

Is Battalion relying on undefined behavior, does Mesa have a (presumably
new) bug here, or is it something else?  I've taken a peek at the
source; neither of the patch files should affect this; after one or two
misguided guesses, I cannot now see anything that looks suspicious in the
source.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com