Subject: halting without a console keyboard
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/25/2000 10:54:48
I want to run a machine without a keyboard.  Apparently the only way
to do this is to disable the keyboard test in the BIOS and compile a
kernel with no keyboard support.

When I try to halt the machine, however, it actually reboots instead.
Presumably, this is because in the absence of a keyboard control falls
through the console poll/get sequence (rather than waiting for input)
which is taken from src/sys/arch/i386/i386/machdep.c (presumably
similar fragments exist for other archs):

	if (howto & RB_HALT) {
		printf("\n");
		printf("The operating system has halted.\n");
		printf("Please press any key to reboot.\n\n");
		cnpollc(1);	/* for proper keyboard command handling */
		cngetc();
		cnpollc(0);
	}

	printf("rebooting...\n");

How could this be changed so that the machine will really halt under
these conditions?  Or is this an ill-conceived case?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
Brook