Subject: Re: Gimp and GNOME trivia.
To: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2000 22:21:44
> > The Gimp's various logo facilities try to use fonts that don't exist on my
> > system (e.g., ``Bippo'').  This has been this way whenever I have
> > installed the Gimp.  It seems sloppy on their part to have most (all?) of
> > their logo-generating scripts default to nonstandard fonts.  (frown)  I
> > took a peek at some of our fonts packages; they seem to focus on
> > internationalization---a good thing, but of no help for the trophy-hunter
> > in search of the wild Bippo in its native environment.  For someone who
> > has a pretty vanilla X setup, how would I go about getting the fonts
> > installed to make the Gimp happy?
>
> Do you mean "Blippo"?  That's part of Adobe's DPS goo for some commerical

Err, yes.  My ``l'' key is subversive.  (^&

I'm a little surprised that The Gimp is set up to expect commercial fonts,
though.

> UNIXes.  If you should find Type1 fonts, you can use x11/type1inst (just

Ah, that's certainly good news in any case.  Thanks.  I'll drop that in
and see if I can find some fonts to feed it.

> There is a TrueType font server for X11 (xfstt).  I'll look into
> packaging it.

(womble)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com