Subject: Re: Gimp and GNOME trivia.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2000 23:37:19
On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 06:38:16PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> The Gimp's various logo facilities try to use fonts that don't exist on my
> system (e.g., ``Bippo'').  This has been this way whenever I have
> installed the Gimp.  It seems sloppy on their part to have most (all?) of
> their logo-generating scripts default to nonstandard fonts.  (frown)  I
> took a peek at some of our fonts packages; they seem to focus on
> internationalization---a good thing, but of no help for the trophy-hunter
> in search of the wild Bippo in its native environment.  For someone who
> has a pretty vanilla X setup, how would I go about getting the fonts
> installed to make the Gimp happy?

Do you mean "Blippo"?  That's part of Adobe's DPS goo for some commerical
UNIXes.  If you should find Type1 fonts, you can use x11/type1inst (just
committed tonight) to automatically construct font.scale and font.dir files.
Just dump the .pfa or .pfb files in Type1/ and run it.

> (I _did_ find The Gimp's web page about fonts.  One link (Freefonts &
> Sharefonts) goes nowhere.  The Truetype fonts, on the other hand, require
> a Truetype fontserver; while we have FreeType, my understanding is that
> it's not a font-server for X.  Do we have a FreeType-based (or any
> Truetype-supporting) font sever in pkgsrc?  (I haven't even looked to see
> if the required fonts are under the Truetype set.)

There is a TrueType font server for X11 (xfstt).   I'll look into packaging it.

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org
  I know I don't deserve a second chance; but as an American,