Subject: Re: printing?
To: None <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2000 20:20:31
According to Technolord:

>> What does your printcap entry look like?  Also, what printer are you
>see attachment

Ahhh I think I see what is wrong <DAFFY_DUCK>pronoun problems</DAFFY_DUCK>

ljprofs|remote|LJ remote on ethernet:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=ljprofs:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljprofs:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ljprofs/log:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf:

Try the above, note I have changed the rp to rm and rq to rp.  I think
the Linux lpd has a slightly different syntax (geez these guys bleat
about BSD doing sensless divergences ;-).  I am not surprised your
poor lpd was confused, you told it you had a remote print queue called
ljprofs but no means to get to it!

Other things to check:

1) you can reach the machine ljprofs - try pinging it.

2) You have the spool directory /var/spool/lpd/ljprofs created and
owned by daemon, group daemon.

3) You have a file called log in the /var/spool/lpd/ljprofs directory
owned by daemon, group daemon.  If it does not exist then just touch
one in to the directory.

>Heh, good question :) AFAIK, it does not have the lpd support (I don't
>know how to find, and the admin already hates me quite enough :)

By the looks of it the printer must support lpd judging by the
printcap you copied.

>The printcap you see it taken "as is" from a Corel Linux machine which
>uses the very same printer without problems, and since my lack of
>knowledge about printers is astonishing, I could not understand anything
>about the handbook on freebsd (I could not find anything about NetBSD)

Ah well, we all struggle up the learning curve ;-)

>.....what is an 'interface script'?

Oops, too much sysv admin (in sysv that is the script that drives the
output to the printer).  I should have said input and output filters
which are scripts that can be used to modify the submitted job before
it is printed.  Typical applications are things like having a filter
that invoked ghostscript to convert the submitted postscript job into
printer escape codes so you can print a postscript file to a
non-postscript printer.  Note that these filters are only applied to
_local_ printers (i.e. they will not work in your specific case here)
but this can be hacked around.

>Thanks for the support!

Hope it helps :-)