Subject: Re: usleep() and system clock resolution
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/18/2000 12:21:48
On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 02:13:22PM -0500, Ruibiao Qiu wrote:

 > So, I wonder if usleep() can get to less than 10 ms.  Does it has
 > anything to do with system clock resolution?  How can I find out
 > the current value of it?  How can I configure it?   Do I need
 > to use nanosleep()?  (BTW, when I run the tests on a linux box, I
 > got 20 ms :)

Yes, in fact, it has everything to do with the system clock resolution.
The system clock ticks every 10ms, so that is the minimum scheduling
granularity.

Try building your kernel with:

options HZ=256

That would make the granularity slightly less than 5ms, and might work
on a PC.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>