Subject: Re: Problems configuring a LAN
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/11/2000 08:34:37
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 06:41:47AM -0400, Jon Lindgren wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Jaume Samperiz wrote:
>
> BTW - are you sure it's ne1?  Usually if you have a single ne card in
> there, it should show up as ne0, but it may be something I've never run
> across before...
>
> > 2) Trying to configure the ne1 interface with things like:
> >
> >      *** ifconfig ne1 inet 10.0.0.1 arp netmask 255.255.255.0

No, he's probably correct.

The GENERIC kernel hardwires ne0 and ne1 to different port/irq combinations.
The other attachments for ne2000-compatible cards start at ne2 and go up.
For example, my pcmcia ne2000 card always shows up as ne2 but my
ISA ne2000 is ne1.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper