Subject: NIS/YP... howto?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Technolord <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/03/2000 12:16:52
I'm trying to set up a nis/yp server for a network. I tried at home with
a client and a server.
I can't get it working! Here's what I did:
Server: ypserv -d, rpc.yppasswdd, ypbind (required by ypinit?!?)
set up the domain (d2.esu, a fake entry ;), ypinit, make (in /var/yp)
(with loads of messages about "server's version not newer...).
Here, passwd does not allow to change passwords: 'passwd dummy', dummy
does not have a password, requires an "old password" and exits. Also,
passwd anyoneelse (with a password) gives "wrong password, aborting" :(
On the client, ypbind, ypinit -c, users can't logon (not even those
without password!!). Even worse, passwd <anyone> tells something like
"yppasswdd not running on server", which is obviously FALSE, since it's
there, up and running (or, ps says so).

Where's the error? Is there an HOW-TO to get it working?
Thank you for the support

--
.-= tECHNOLORD tHE hELLRAiSER .-=
A shattered heart an empty soul Just one false move and it took its toll