Subject: None
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/2000 20:50:09
I'm strill trying to get my toy gateway up and running,
an old 486DX2/66 w/ ISA and VLB, and about 16M of RAM.
I have... five different NICs but can't get any two of
them to work at the same time (let's just forget about
adding the soundcard I've got somewhere in my shelf too).
I'm trying to run 1.4.1 on this one and netbsd works
flawlessly after a nice and easy install (first time with
sysinst for me, I've gotten used to the plain 'ole
miniroot install-script), but I can't get two NICs to
coexist. I'm suspecting hardware problems. These are the NICs:

1 ISA PnP Combo (some noname ne2 card) that always works.
1 ISA Combo card, which seems locked in 10B2 mode.
1 ISA Combo card, which doesn't work in conjunction with PnP cards
  but seems to work when it's the only card around.
2 ISA PnP Combo cards, which both have the same (and very
suspicious-looking) MAC-address; probably screwed up(?)

Now, it seems I definitely want to stick with PnP cards since
I already have one fully working ne2 one handy (and mixing it
with non-PnP cards didn't work very well, which someone confirmed).

Does anyone have any ISA PnP cards to recommend (or a clue about
what I can do to get this working anyway)? I'd really like to
get this box up and running with two NICs, finally. It's a bit
hard to know what to do with the cards because everything
(including the 486 itself) is "junk" I got for free, so I
honestly don't even know what motherboard's in it, let alone
the brand of the NICs. I have a piece of DOS software for the
two weirdo PnP cards, but I also suspect that is what fscked
up their settings (their MAC addresses show up as something
like FF:FF:FF:FC:FF:FF, or to that effect). I suspect the PnP
NICs apart from the working one are screwed up in one way or
the other rather than an actual NetBSD problem, so if anyone
know of cheapo ISA NICs (10bT is the only requirement really)
that work well with eachother and other PnP cards, I think
I'll just buy one or two and be done with it.
Suggestions? Oh, the 1.4.1 kernel is a generic one directly
from netbsd.org.

TIA

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali