Subject: Panic during 'restore'
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marinier, M. Claude, G. <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/2000 15:04:37
Hi, I am running NetBSD 1.4.1 on i386 (Intel PD440FX, Pentium II).

Problem:

I was copying a file system with a dump/restore pipe as follows.

	newfs /dev/wd1e
	mount /dev/wd1e /mnt
	cd /mnt
	dump -0f - /dev/wd0e | restore -rf

When the system hung, I went to the console and found that fsck had failed
on reboot after a panic.

	Apr 27 12:56:14 behemoth savecore:
		reboot after panic: lockmgr: locking against myself

I assumed that I had messed-up the file system before copying. I tried
again and got a different panic.

	Apr 27 13:08:41 behemoth savecore:
		reboot after panic: ffs_alloccg: map corrupted

This may be because I was copying from a live system. I then did a dump to
disk followed by a restore from disk. I got the same panic again.

	Apr 27 14:09:14 behemoth savecore:
		reboot after panic: ffs_alloccg: map corrupted

The last time the system died, there was an error message about an
interrupt but I cannot find it in the log files.

Question:

I have done this sort of operation many times. I moved the same system to
a new disk earlier this week without a problem. I do not know what is
going on here.

At this point, I could speculate wildly but it would not be very useful.
One of you can probably help me.

Thanks.

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675