Subject: RE: making packages with little disk space?
To: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
From: Robert D. Mohr <robmohr@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/2000 18:48:05
Georg,

If I understand you correctly, it sounds as if you are attempting to build
the _entire_ NetBSD package collection...  That could take a significant
amount of time and disk space indeed.  I suspect that was not your
intention.

After downloading and extracting the current pkgsrc.tar.gz, change directory
to whatever package you are interested in building, (i.e. cd
/usr/pkgsrc/www/apache to build the Apache web server).  Once there, use:

make fetch-list | sh

to download the package and associated dependancies.  Now execute make
(still from the /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache directory for example).

BTW:  A fairly detailed explanation of this process is available in the
online NetBSD documentation provided for the package collection.  This
information can be found at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Doucmentation.software/packages.html

P.S.  I've found that using sup is a much easier method of updating the
current pkgsrc collection.  This is the method recommended by the NetBSD
documentation as well.

Rob Mohr