Subject: Re: port 65336?
To: Hoang Tran <hqt@rocketmail.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/2000 15:37:38
> According to netstat, I have port udp 65336 in listening
> mode. If I do another netstat -a, that number changes
> to another number of the range 65k.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is that port for?
>
> I'm seeing this with my 1.4W and 1.4.1

when you do netstat -a, the netstat program looks up hostnames for the
addresses it finds.  it uses a udp port for this and needs to listen
for responses from the nameservers it's asking.  each time you run it,
it gets a different port since these (ephemeral) port numbers are
given out arbitrarily.

try netstat -an and see if the port disappears...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|