Subject: booting diskless
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Hezekiah Mcmurray <hez@mayo.caltech.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2000 14:22:30
I am trying to get an old Sparc 10 up and running NetBSD
1.4.2.....unfortunately there aren't any floppy install images anymore
(right?).  So - I have set up a PC running NetBSD 1.4.1 for rarp, nfs,
etc. so that I can boot the sparc over the net.

so far rarpd -a -d is working - got packet
so far rpc.bootparamd is "sort of" working - it's returning the below:

rpc.bootparamd: whoami got question for 192.168.111.33
rpc.bootparamd: This is host zoe.the.net.work
rpc.bootparamd: Returning zoe   mayo    127.0.0.1
rpc.bootparamd: getfile got question for "zoe" and file "root"
rpc.bootparamd: getfile failed for zoe
rpc.bootparamd: getfile got question for "zoe" and file "root"
rpc.bootparamd: getfile failed for zoe
rpc.bootparamd: getfile got question for "zoe" and file "root"
rpc.bootparamd: getfile failed for zoe
rpc.bootparamd: getfile got question for "zoe" and file "root"
rpc.bootparamd: getfile failed for zoe

the client, "zoe" (sparc), when doing a boot net eventually gets an
ARP/RARP request through to the server but ends in failure after:

boot: client IP address: 192.168.111.33
boot: client name: zoe
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000`
open: netbsd: Unkown error: code 72

nfsd's running - mountd running - inetd.conf is set up and tftp is working
fine - exports is set up as per the HOWTO (minus the /export/client/usr -
am exporting /usr from my server).

I have followed the HOWTO on booting diskless at:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

Help? (gulp!:)

Hez

Hezekiah McMurray