Subject: Re: orbs.org and 'Open EMail Relay'
To: Scott Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2000 08:25:31
Hi,

I do not use sendmail but have enclosed some messages that were posted in
a similar thread at SuSE security.

HTH

mike

--- Schnipp ---
This Web page has alot of infos about mail abuse.
http://maps.vix.com/tsi/ar-test.html  SMTP Relay Tester

the way that I have tested our Sendmail configuration is to
1) connect to the host that the mail server is on
2) from there, telnet to a friendly host at "mail-abuse.org"
    telnet mail-abuse.org

3) the results are like ....
Relay test 17
>>> RSET
<<< 250 Reset state
<<< 250 <spamtest@lufa-sp.vdlufa.de>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT TO:<mail-abuse.org!relaytest@lufa-sp.vdlufa.de>
<<< 550 <mail-abuse.org!relaytest@lufa-sp.vdlufa.de>... Relaying denied
Relay test result
All tests performed, no relays accepted.
Connection closed by foreign host.

This Web page has alot of infos about mail abuse.
http://maps.vix.com/tsi/ar-test.html  SMTP Relay Tester
--- Schnapp ---
--- Schnipp ---
There aer still a number of things in the default sendmail 8.9.x config
that are insecure. These are fixed in the 8.10.0.Beta* public betas.

The relay methods are suitably obscure, but still exploitable. I ran my
8.10.0.Beta* through ORBS and came up clean, so whatever the default is
"now" it works. :)

I would recommend upgrading to the newer sendmail betas, from
ftp://ftp.sendmail.org/
--- Schnapp ---