Subject: Re: nmap results
To: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2000 16:17:47
If you're running nmap from another machine somewhere out on the Internet
(as opposed to another machine on the same subnet as the machine under
test) it's possible that your Internet connection is being filtered by your
provider. I've heard of several cablemodem and DSL providers filtering
netbios-* to protect the unwashed Windows masses from sharing their
harddisk out to the world (I also know of a university that blocks *all*
incoming traffic to the ethernets in its dorm rooms).

If this is the case, you'll get the same response when you run nmap again,
even if you add more rules to ipfilter, since the filtering is happening
before it ever gets to you.