Subject: Re: Network configuration ..
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?= <paalh@unik.no>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2000 22:16:04
According to =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?=:

>I think this is correct. It is denoted SMC8022T on the packet from the
>supplier, and it should be Novell NE2000 compatible.

No, that is not what I meant.  You had this "EZCard-10-pcmcia" as part
of the line from dmesg - was this accurate?  The string in the driver
has this: "SMC EZCard 10 PCMCIA", the difference is slight but could
be significant.

>Will the kernel automatically detect a "known" card, i.e., a NE2000
>compatible card?

Considering that you have compiled in the ne pcmcia driver then, yes,
the kernel will automatically detect a known card.  Note that not all
NE2000 cards will be detected but your card looks to be on the list of
known ne2000 compatiable cards so it should just work....

> How do you make the kernel to recognise the card?

If you have a card that is not recognised then you can have a look in
/usr/src/sys/dev/pcmcia/pcmciadevs.h to see if it is known there.  If
you have a ne2000 compatiable card you can look in
/usr/src/sys/dev/pcmcia/if_ne_pcmcia.c, there is a section of card
id's that are ifdef'ed out.  If your card string appears in that
section you can help by copying the entry into the active list,
updating the infomation, building a kernel and if all works well then
to a send-pr detailing the info that made your card work so that
others can benefit.  As I said before, you should not need to do this
as your card appears to be on the list of known ones.