Subject: Re: serial networking
To: None <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2000 20:49:00
According to Technolord:

>I am therefore asking -- from there should I start looking into? I
>thought something like a pppd on the portable which polls (say, every 30
>seconds) for the connection

You could probably be more sophisticated and just wire local CD to the
remote DTR at both ends, that way when you plug the cable in the CD is
asserted and the open would succeed... as long as your ttys file is
set correctly (i.e. you need to have the tty not set to local).

> and on the other side of the cable a PC with
><some process>, like those used in ISPs to allow incoming connections.
>I require some pointers, program names and/or documentations.

Have a look at pppd, getting a point to point link over a null modem
going is fairly straightforward.