Subject: Re: Network configuration ..
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?= <paalh@unik.no>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2000 20:16:39
According to =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?=:

>I have a SMC, EZ PC Card 10 which is NE2000 compatible, and when booting,
>the /var/run/dmesg.boot says
>
>SMC, EZCard-10-pcmcia, SMC8022, R01 (manufacturer 0x108, product 0x8022)
>function 0 not configured
>
>which should mean that no driver is available!!??

This is correct.  One question:  The line from dmesg.boot you have
given, is that _exactly_ what appears there?  The model string for
that card does not match what you have written above which may be why
your card is not recognised....

>Hoverer, I have built a kernel with PCMCIA NE2000 support. My
>configuration file contains:

That looks correct.

>I have looked at the "basic NetBSD networking" docs, and configured my
>"/etc/" files as on another PC runnig NetBSD. My /dev/ does not contain a
>ne1, ne2, ne0, or ne* device!!?

That is normal - you will not see any network card devices in /dev, to
show the available network interfaces you need to do:

ifconfig -a

>Is there anyone who has experience of setting up the network connection
>with a pcmcia network card who can give me some hint of what to do?

The kernel needs to be made to recognise the card first.  Once
ifconfig shows a ne* device you can treat it like any other network
device on the machine.