Subject: Re: Samsung 10/100 ethernet card
To: James Spath <jspath@mail.bcpl.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2000 12:06:29
James Spath writes:
> I have a new Samsung ethernet card, probed on boot as:
>
> Samsung Semiconductors product 0x8920 (ethernet network, revision 0x01)
> at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured

This means the kernel didn't recognize the board, so it is "not configured."
Admittedly this should maybe say "not configured: no device driver" or
something.

> The model is 1200A-TX.  I had guessed it would be based on the DEC chip
> quoted above (based on Samsung second-sourcing other DEC chips).  I'm
> not sure how to configure it, however.  What I tried was:

It could be a clone, Jason Thorpe would be the guy to answer that. :)
Could you post the information on the chipset itself?  There should be
some part number screened onto the top of the chip, perhaps like:
SAMSUNG
XYZ123
XXNN
Blah.

> # ifconfig de0 inet 10.0.0.1
> ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS de0: Device not configured

This is basically saying the same thing as the kernel, that the device
was not recognized by any device driver, so it was not "configured" into
the kernel.  Here the wording is somewhat guessable as well, since you
might think, "Well I am *trying* to configure it with 'ifconfig.'"
One of the following might be better:
	"de0: device does not exist"
	"de0: device not found"
	"de0: device not recognized"

The issue is that the initial boot and probing of device is called
"auto configuration" so the use of "not configured" does make sense.
It is just easy to think it means you need to configure the device
with 'ifconfig' or something. :)

Post the chipset info, and then it may just be a matter of adding
the Samsung device identification to an existing driver so that it
will recognize the card.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.