Subject: Re: who/what is "toor"
To: netbsd-help@netbsd.org, Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/10/2000 21:17:46
You know...I asked that very same question about a year or two back.  (^&

I thought that the consensus was to remove toor from the distribution,
along with some of the other dead-weight accounts.

To allay a suspicion that you might have, after someone else's comments
re. statically linked shells: csh is statically linked, too.  If you leave
root configured with csh, you should always have a statically-linked shell
for your root account.  What I had been told was that when BSD introduced
the csh, years ago, some preferred to use the older shell (sh), while
others preferred the csh.  In order to settle the issue, the toor/root
dichotomy was created so that everyone could be happy.

Now, we have more than two system shells, and a number of optional ones
that we can install---and, as another noted, we also have sudo (in
pkgsrc).  The rationale for exactly two root accounts is harder to
make---especially if your NetBSD machine is just a personal workstation or
home computer.

I've simply deleted my toor account and leave root configured to use csh.

That's my $0.02718281828459045 (adjusted for inflation).

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com