Subject: RE: Linux?
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/08/2000 22:34:00
> On 8 Apr 2000, at 15:51, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > I'd say they didn't chose the rigth machine. The only reason I still
> > buy Suns is to run Solaris (because of commercial Apps). Otherwise,
> > there are better and cheaper machines available (PCs, powermac and
> > alphas).
>
> Does Solaris for i386 not perform well or is there any other reason
> to go for the sparc?

Solaris i386 has always been treated as the bastard stepchild (no offense
to anyone).

Application support was always strong for Sparc, but i386 sucked.  I.e. I
used to run a i386 (586) Solaris box.  I wanted Java from Sun.  Was not
available (at that time) for the i386 for several months, but the Sparc
version was ready to go.  There are numerous better examples.  This may
have changed, but I doubt it.

jam