Subject: Re: Linux?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/2000 21:20:24
On 7 Apr 2000, at 14:09, Mipam wrote:

> So i am saying is that if ppl dont want to
> think
> and just install an os and expect it to work, they shouldnt try
> netbsd.

I do not think that Linux is for those either, the corel Linux disti is
said to be such easy but I have not tried it. But if you have an
administrator to setup a machine for those people both are fine.

> And may i mention the packages tree? There is no linux
> distribution which offers this. Indeed even not debian is this far.
> Simple installing is nice. Linux distributions got to learn from this.

The SuSE Linux ditribution has more than 1500 applications as
binares on their CDs, a menu to install and remove them and a
handful of scripts that will change the apropriate config files and
restart services. But, all those programms are precompiled with
almost all options enabled so do not ask for security.

I think that is the bottom line: one allways trades simpicity for loss of
security.

mike