Subject: Re: routed
To: Shadi Abou-Zahra <e9426418@student.tuwien.ac.at>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/2000 01:39:25
Thus spake Shadi Abou-Zahra
> i want to realize the following:
>
>                        ______ private subnet (192.168.x.x)
>                      /
>   ========= router
>                    \
>                      \ ______ public servers (real ip addresses)
>
> at the moment the netbsd router has 3 working interfaces and correct nat
> rules so that the private subnet is working.
>
> how do i get the public servers "visible"? do i have to create a second
> subnet and alias the router or is there a simpelr way?
>
> according to the man pages routed is what i am looking for but i am unsure
> and don't want to screw my router up. can anyone tell me how to use routed
> or point me to a how-to or so?

Not sure why you think routed is needed here.  Just plug your real network
into the third interface card putting one of the public network's address
on the interface.  Make that address the default route for the public
network just as you made the address on the interface to the private network
the default route for the private network.

Note that there are other options.  You can put all your machines on the
private network and redirect services to specific machines and ports.
Of course, that limits you to one of each server but in many cases it
is all you need.  See /usr/share/examples/ipf/mediaone.