Subject: Re: Linux?
To: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/06/2000 11:01:00
> From: claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca (Marinier, M. Claude, G.)

> I use NetBSD as an internet server but more and more users (scientists)
> want Linux. I have two questions.

Why do they want Linux? Because they where told about it?

> 2. Could NetBSD do anything Linux does? I assume that I would build the
> kernel with Linux and ELL32. Would I also need a compatibility package?

 From the user's point of view, NetBSD/i386 should be able to do anything
that Linux can. Apache and many databases also work on NetBSD. Some ISPs run
over 100 virtual Servers on a single NetBSD (Ask herb@beer.org).

The main disadvantage of linux in my view is that linux is not linux.
Everyone builds up his own distribution. Nearly all things differ from
eachother. Support in this NetBSD lists is *much* better than in any of the
Linux forums I know.

I use NetBSD since the day Commodore was death and I am happy with it.

(Ok, the GNUstep port does not use shared libs and threads but I hope that
this will change soon)

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION