Subject: Re: Linux?
To: Marinier, M. Claude, G. <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/05/2000 20:37:30
On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:28:32PM -0400, Marinier, M. Claude, G. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use NetBSD as an internet server but more and more users (scientists)
> want Linux. I have two questions.
>
> 1. Which Linux is most like Unix (BSD)?

I don't want to know :)

> 2. Could NetBSD do anything Linux does? I assume that I would build the
> kernel with Linux and ELL32. Would I also need a compatibility package?

Not anything but a lot of thing.

> I hope that I will not offend anyone by this question. I have to support
> (read: really help) the users. They know about Linux (or have heard about
> it) but they do not know anything about NetBSD (I do try to tell them but
> need help to convince them).

If this is a critical machine you can use the stability argument:
a stock linux machine will not reboot cleanly if you hit reset at the wrong
time (like while untar'ing a not too small archive), NetBSD will always.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>