Subject: Re: mysterius autorepeat, with wscons
To: None <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2000 22:48:34

Sorry for the late reply, but the battery-pack of my notebook died.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:27:08 +0000 (GMT) David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Bernd Salbrechter wrote:
>
> > Sometimes the last pressed key is repeated as I still press it. It
> > lock like wscons doesn't recognize the release of the key. The
> > autorepeat stops, if I press any key and release it. I have only
> > disabled the green kernel messages in GENERIC, otherwise the wscons
> > options are untouched. I didn't had that phenomena on my 486 tower.
> >
> > If this is not a known problem, can I activate some kernel traces
> > to find out more about it, or are there other thingth I can do to
> > help you to find it?
> >
> 	Strange - could you try a kernel with the pccons instead of
> 	wscons console driver to see if it shows up there?

I will do this, but it will take some time.

> > An other observation I made is that me PCMCIA Ethernet card (ne)
> > get an different interrupt and doesn't "ifconfig(0)" right if I leave
> > it in "/etc/ifconfig.ne0", but I got it work by setting
> >   > auto_ifconfig=NO
> >   > net_interfaces="ne0"
> > in "rc.conf".
> >
> 	A different interrupt? That is very strange - could you send
> 	dmesg output from each case?

I have uploaded it to my web space:
  http://www.mycity.at/privat/99010802/limited/dmesg.gen
    from the generic kernel
  http://www.mycity.at/privat/99010802/limited/dmesg.install
    from the NetBSD-1.4.1 boot floppy

Configuration with /etc/ifconf.ne[02] works now, after adding "inet"
as first word in it.

> > BTW. Has someone also problems with the vt220 emulation, which is
> > set in "/etc/ttys" by default. I have changed it to vt100, because
> > "more(1)" writes all in the last line, which is not very helpful.
> > I have "MORE=-s" in my environment.
>
> 	That is also odd - have you changed any of the dotfiles and
> 	are you using a different shell?

Yes I use csh. And I have .chsrc and .login to do a personal setup,
but nothing strange about the tty. I will append the output of
"stty -a" and "printenv". At login the last line of my "motd" get
overwritten by that of fortune, which is the first output from
".login".

I have done some additional test and it seems that the strange
behavior of more requires output of syslog to the console.

Thanks for the help
Bernd

The output of stty -a:

speed 9600 baud; 25 rows; 80 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
	-extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff -ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
	brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs onocr onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
	-cdtrcts
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
	eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
	min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
	stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

The output of printenv:

HOME=/home/salb
SHELL=/bin/csh
TERM=vt100
LOGNAME=salb
USER=salb
PATH=.:./bin:/home/salb/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:usr/bin/X11:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin:/home/cad/bin:/usr/games:/usr/old_tools/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
PWD=/home/salb/nnfsmnt/home/email
TMPDIR=/var/tmp
GROFF_TMAC_PATH=/usr/pkg/share/tmac
CDPATH=.:/home/salb:
MAILCHECK=0
NNTPSERVER=siemens
DISPLAY=:0
PRINTER=ps
NAME=Bernd Salbrechter
MORE=-s
MAKECONF=/home/salb/nnfsmnt/src/local/mk/mk.conf.schleppo