Subject: RE: Printing
To: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
From: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2000 12:25:11
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Andrew Crossley wrote:

> I don't advocate that newbies print out ALL manual pages.  JUST THE ONES
> THEY NEED.  Try reading about csh from the man page on the screen.  Print it

Done it.

> out, get a cup of tea, relax in a COMFORTABLE chair and learn about the
> topic.  We spend ENOUGH time looking at screens already.  The man pages look

My computer chair _is_ the most comfortable chair in my house.  (With
enough light to read in, that is.)

> awful to read time and time again from the screen.  I think users should be
> able to both.  Try getting a pen and writing on your screen your personal

I didn't say they couldn't.  Where'd you pull that one from?

> >Ouch.  "Print out manual pages."  Heh, I used to do that, but a network
> >consultant friend of mine told me not to.  I never quite understood why
> >until I constantly ran out of ink cartridges and paper at my house.
>
> ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

Good reasoning.  I like two-word comebacks, too.  It was just a helpful
tip, and you thought I was...what, controlling your life?  Yikes...

Are you saying that I _don't_ run out of ink/paper?  You've got to be
kidding - this inkjet has no black cartridge right now because I ran out
last night.

> >A good piece of advice: try getting used to reading manpages on screen.
>
> Why do people buy and read books then ??

I don't know about you or anyone else (I speak only for myself) but I read
to enlighten myself.

> Why am i writing this book ??

So what you're saying is that it will not be in an online form?  Or just
print form for those who are "too cool" to read it online?

> --fission

If you didn't like my suggestion, you could've just said so.  The whole
point of my saying that is so that when your printer breaks, you are used
to reading on-screen.  Or when you don't have a printer.  Or when your
system will barely boot far enough to give you a shell.  Or something.
Whatever.

Ouch.

--fission