Subject: Re: LPVI / SparcPrinter driver
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2000 12:04:03
On Fri, 25 Feb 100, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:

>> I'm trying to find out if the LPVI / SparcPrinter is supported by NetBSD.
>> I can't seem to find any definitive answer.  I have a SparcStation 1+ that
>> I'd like to upgrade from SunOS, and have been told that Solaris won't run
>> well on 28M of RAM.  Linux does not support the LPVI at this time.  I'm
>> uncertain of OpenBSD.
>
>I doubt you'll find any drivers for the lpvi interface.  The lpvi
>device is not a parallel interface, rather a video frame buffer.  The
>workstation renders the image into the buffer and then somehow tells
>the printer to print it.  The problem is that I have never seen any
>technical specifications describing the lpvi hardware, and considering
>the age and status, such documentation may not exist anymore, even at
>Sun.
>
>The good news is that thaere are a number of people who have shown
>interest in writing a driver for this card if you can ever manage to
>acquire the necessary documentation.

Have a look at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/devices.html.
It mentions a user-contributed ghostscript device driver for the
SPARCprinter.  I think the problem is that you'd also need a kernel
device driver for the interface - isn't it an Sbus card with one
Centronics port and one funny SPARCprinter port?

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |