Subject: Re: LPVI / SparcPrinter driver
To: Nicholas R LeRoy <nick.leroy@norland.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2000 11:26:51
> I'm trying to find out if the LPVI / SparcPrinter is supported by NetBSD.
> I can't seem to find any definitive answer.  I have a SparcStation 1+ that
> I'd like to upgrade from SunOS, and have been told that Solaris won't run
> well on 28M of RAM.  Linux does not support the LPVI at this time.  I'm
> uncertain of OpenBSD.

I doubt you'll find any drivers for the lpvi interface.  The lpvi
device is not a parallel interface, rather a video frame buffer.  The
workstation renders the image into the buffer and then somehow tells
the printer to print it.  The problem is that I have never seen any
technical specifications describing the lpvi hardware, and considering
the age and status, such documentation may not exist anymore, even at
Sun.

The good news is that thaere are a number of people who have shown
interest in writing a driver for this card if you can ever manage to
acquire the necessary documentation.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@netbsd.org
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me