Subject: Re: Proc size mismatch
To: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2000 09:05:03
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Andrew Crossley wrote:
> sufficient to just build a new kernal from CURRENT.  Apparantly all
> the sources from the same date must be built in order to avoid
> library conflicts.  I had a good read of the FAQ on the NetBSD
> website in regards to this, and in true Star Trek tradition, I
> boldly went where I have never been before.

In general, newer kernels will work fine with older libraries... the few
exceptions are things like ps, w, vmstat, and other things that display
info from the kernel.

> Because we do not use DES in Aust., the build would fail when
> Makefiles had the bsd.crypto line in them.  Whether right or wrong,

Hmm, not sure about this one (as I'm in the US). I'm guessing that you
don't have a /usr/share/mk/bsd.crypto.mk (since that file wasn't present
in NetBSD 1.4.x). If you "cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install", that
should install bsd.crypto.mk (it's not a DES-specific file... it applies
to both US and international installs).

You're running the i386 port, right? If so, I'd recommend installing a
snapshot instead of trying to recompile things yourself (just this once
:). The i386 port has switched from a.out to ELF, which makes
recompiling rather tricky when you still have a.out libraries and stuff
around. You can download a snapshot from
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20000213/binary/>

> Can anyone advise of the steps necessary to build dynamic libraires
> that match a kernal, or should i just drown myself in the dunny ??

I think your problems might've come from the a.out->ELF switch...

> I feel that people who migrate from Linux to NetBSD will probabely
> want to build a CURRENT kernal sooner rather than later, as it is
> this "version-junkie" attitude that us Linux users tend to have when
> it comes to kernals.

Well, as an alternative, there are the snapshots... but for those that
like compiling stuff themselves, I think the "Building NetBSD from
source" section of http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/ is
pretty good. Going from a release version, like 1.4.1, to -current is
generally a big step though, and it can be difficult to write up
instructions on how to do it. Once you get to -current, compiling new
versions is much easier :) (just cd /usr/src and make build almost
always works :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 24 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++