Subject: Re: colorls
To: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2000 15:46:51
On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 08:04:54PM -0800, Andrew Crossley wrote:
> Guess who this is ?
And guess who is answering :-)
(Are we alone on this list?)

> It seems to loose it's fuctionality when piped though more or less.  Is this
> the way it just is, because if it is, colorls is pretty useless, as most
> directories are more than a screenfull long.  Plus, I wish to suggest it as a
That's the way it is.

colorls changes its output depending if the standard output is directed
to a terminal or not (i.e. piped or >file). If not, it doesn't use ansi
colour codes wich may confuse other commands (such as grep or more).

BTW: More can't handle ansi (you would see a lot of ESCCnn on the screen
instead of colours) so this not a big loss IMHO.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.