Subject: Re: aliases in kde
To: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2000 15:26:06
On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 09:51:08PM -0800, Andrew Crossley wrote:
> > What exactly does this mean?
> > The aliases don't work in xterms and such?
> No
From the logical point this means that they work :-)
(doubled No=Yes :-)

> > Do you start the xterms as "login shells"?
> not sure, where do i check and how do i do it?
In an xterminal start a new login shell:
"csh -l"
If this makes a difference, you haven't started a
login shell.

The argument "-ls" makes xterm (and other terminal
emulations) to start up a login shell.

But it should work without login shells, see below.

> > Where do you define your aliases?
> > ~/.cshrc or ~/.login or ~/.xsession (don't know if that works)?
> csh.login
> csh.cshrc
> .cshrc
> and others i can't remember
Well, .cshrc is fine I guess (I'm no csh user...).
According to the manpage ~/.cshrc should get executed whenever you start a
new csh (login or not).

Add an "echo Test" or something there, to see if it actually get's
executed. You should see "Test" now whenever you open up a new xterm.

If not, maybe your xterms don't start the C-shell at all?
Check the contents of the SHELL environment variable, it
should contain the path to your shell. (echo $SHELL)
Terminal emulations like xterm usually use this variable to startup
new shells.

If it's not /bin/csh, try this test:
In an xterm set the SHELL variable with:
"export SHELL=/bin/csh"
or maybe:
"setenv SHELL=/bin/csh"
(depending on the shell you are actually using now)
in an xterm and start a new xterm with
"xterm &"

If you now see "Test", then find
the place where SHELL gets overridden.
(maybe .xsession, or some KDE-startup files.)

If you don't see "Test" now, well...
I tried my best :-)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.