Subject: Proc size mismatch
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2000 19:18:50
Hello again from XiT,

The next problem I have is regard to updating librairies that match a new
kernal.

Those who read my previous message will know that I used a kernal built from
20/1/2000 sources so as to get long filenames read from my cdrom.  From my
little NetBSD knowledge, I gather that it is not sufficient to just build a new
kernal from CURRENT.  Apparantly all the sources from the same date must be
built in order to avoid library conflicts.  I had a good read of the FAQ on the
NetBSD website in regards to this, and in true Star Trek tradition, I boldly
went where I have never been before.

Being in Australia, we no not use DES.  That's the first thing.  I followed the
instructions on the FAQ regardong proc size mismatch to the letter, and yes I
had some real problems.

Because we do not use DES in Aust., the build would fail when Makefiles had the
bsd.crypto line in them.  Whether right or wrong, I commented out all of the
lines in Makefiles with this in.  The build seemed to work fine when i did
this.  (you are all probabely choking on your dinner reading this!!).  So I
came to the point when I went to build ps using the new libraries.
Unfortunately, I have lost the output files i made of the errors, so I am going
from my memory.  I seem to remember that there was a problem relating to libkvm
or something of the sort.  Suffice as to say that ps did not build at all, and
i went from a semi-working ps to a completely non-working ps.  According to the
FAQ, there are more binaries in /bin that have this same problem.  I made such
a stuff-up, and needing more space for NetBSD anyway, I took the disgusting
WinCrap attitude and re-installed my system.

Can anyone advise of the steps necessary to build dynamic libraires that match
a kernal, or should i just drown myself in the dunny ??

As we all know, life is pretty hard without ps, especially for newbies that
need to kill the odd process now and again.

I feel that people who migrate from Linux to NetBSD will probabely want to
build a CURRENT kernal sooner rather than later, as it is this "version-junkie"
attitude that us Linux users tend to have when it comes to kernals.

I feel that this is an issue that needs to be documented soon, as although the
FAQ was helpful, it left me for dead.

TIA

XiT