Subject: Re: sup -s -v
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/22/2000 11:13:52
Ok, I've got it...

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Julian Coleman wrote:
> > I configured sup yesterday to update pkgsrc as per the instructions at:
> >
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html#setting_up_pkgsrc
> >
> > But it does'nt work:
> > SUP: Network write timed out
>
> is to turn off RFC1323 support in the kernel (there seems to be some odd
> interaction between NetBSD hosts and some dialup servers).  I added the
> following to my /etc/rc.local :
>
>   sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 = 0

Its not the RFC1323 protocol that is the problem, I see that sup
communicates a lot with the server, then starts accessing disk for a long
time. Then it tries communicating again. In the meantime the ISDN router
has hung up so packets go nowhere and sup terminates.

sup -v -N -N -N -s was helpful with a systat iostat running in another
window.

A ping sup.no.netbsd.org in the background kept the line up.

Thankyou for your help!
Anders

--
Anders Dinsen