Subject: The strange case of the HP C3325A.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2000 07:12:37
I've got an HP C3325A here that I picked up at a swap meet for cheap --
all the manufacturer's labels were removed. It is otherwise an apparently
decent 2Gb SCSI2 drive.

[ all machines involved were running 1.4.2_ALPHA from 20000127-UTC ]

First I tried it on a Mac IIci. MacOS had no trouble hard-formatting it.
sysinst installed it; I could boot and use it okay, but large operations
(like rsync'ing /usr/src to it) would reproducibly cause a kernel panic
("cleaning vnode that isn't" or something like that). When I tried the SBC
kernel however, it started working happily.

Then I moved it to a Multia, which hated it. Any attempt to read the
disklabel resulted in lots of scsi errors. sysinst would not recognize
the drive as a potential install target because of this.

Now I have it on a sun3/60, which appears to like it just fine, so far.
(It's not done rsync'ing yet.)

Could it be that the drive just doesn't like some newer SCSI feature?
Are there drives with known quirks that could cause weirdness like this?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com