Subject: Re: Forcing an ARP flush from NetBSD box
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/2000 15:55:08
lainestump@rcn.com (Laine Stump) writes:
> I recall fixing this once a long time ago by sending out pings from the new
> machine to every other machine on the subnet. Of course, this subnet was
> limited to NetBSD, Win95, and WinNT machines, so I don't know if that would
> satisfy everybody.

This should work if the remote side implements arp "the right way".

"The right way" == updating its own arp cache with the source MAC
address in the ethernet header of any incoming arp *request*.

I suspect that most boxes get this right, because its needed to
address the simultaneous arp case where both machines need to
simultaneously discover the MAC address of the other side.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/