Subject: Re: NetBSD and Printing - Samba/otherwise
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2000 11:00:05
According to Michael Richardson:

>  An HP LaserJet will accept LPD connections. Just set it up as a remote
>printer in /etc/printcap and start lpd. The SMB.conf file usually has a
>default to read all the printers in /etc/printcap. You can also add stuff to
>it so that Windows PCs will get the right printer driver when they try and
>"install" the printer.

Here at work in a Sun Solaris environment I have found the HP lpd
support to be flakey - the thing works absolutely fine for ages and
then just stops accepting jobs.  I don't know if this is an artifact
of the Solaris SYSV crap print system* or the lpd implementation on
the HP.  Just something to watch for.

*Well, OK, it was GREAT for printers locally attached to the box, it
can do all sorts of funky stuff but network printing sucks - OK?