Subject: Re: NetBSD and Printing - Samba/otherwise
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2000 10:53:13
According to Roger Brooks:

>The card IP address can be configured with BOOTP (although I couldn't get
>it to work with the NetBSD 1.3.2 bootp -- this is vaguely somewhere on my
>TODO list, but nowhere near the top).

Some versions of the JetDirect firmware Just Don't Work(tm) with BOOTP -
even if you are running HP's bootp server.

>Another catch:  if you use TFTP config files (:T144=hpnp/myprinter.cfg: in
>the bootptab entry), and you don't run tftpd on the *same server* as provides
>the BOOTP reply (or the specified file is unavailable), the ethernet card
>will sulk.

Yep, again - later versions of the JetDirect firmware fix this.  I
have found a work around for this one is just not to specify the T144
file, it is not critical for the operation of the printer.

Unfortunately, to update the firmware you will need some sort of
commercial OS.  I have managed to update a JetDirect from a Solaris
box if your religion forbids M$ ;-)  The process is fairly simple once
you convince the bloody update tool that there is a printer out there
you want to update.