Subject: Re: NetBSD and Printing - Samba/otherwise
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2000 09:36:06
> I ended up installing HP's network printer management software on a WinNT
> workstation, sharing the printer from there, then using Samba's smbclient
> as a printcap filter to get output from the NetBSD box out to the printer.
> Once you've done that on one machine, you can tell other Unix machines
> about the printer "on the NetBSD box", thus further convoluting things.

The inverse of this is also possible.  I have a lexmark 1255n on the
ether running lpr on its internal micro.  The netbsd hosts all spool
output directly to it via their local lprs.

When poor scoville is booted with its alternate brain containing
mswindows, it will send its printer output to the samba host, which
then injects the output into its local lpr queue (which forwards it to
the printer).  The lpr samba setup was taken directly from the sample
samba conf file with the samba distribution.

Now, I did notice yesterday that scoville when running mswindows could
no longer print to samba.  So far I have assumed that this was due to
the screwy mswindows login sequence.  The when this mswindows boots it
starts up the "default" user (*).  This user can't access samba.  Only
when one "logs out" default and logs back in with a user that has
samba-privileges can one print.  If there is some output queued in
mswindows, after a reboot one is screwed.  The printer gets marked as
down (for all time it appears) and no amount of logging into a
samba-approved account will change that.

-wolfgang

(*) I have no idea how to get mswindows to start up with its xdm-like
screen prompting for an initial password.  The darn thing just boots
into some vanilla default setup that doesn't have enough permission to
do anything on the samba-net.
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/