Subject: Re: NetBSD and Printing - Samba/otherwise
To: None <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2000 10:02:36
At 09:53 AM 2/15/00 +0200, Bruce Martin wrote:
>We have an HP LaserJet on our network, and our BSD machines run Samba. What
>is the easiest way of printing from NetBSD over the network to this printer?
>Are there any FAQs/docs out there on printing under NetBSD?

If you mean that the printer is connected directly to the ethernet, the
problem to overcome is that it doesn't speak SMB or lpr (at least they
didn't when I had to do this a couple years ago), and the software you can
get for the printers only runs on Solaris or MS WinXX (and maybe a couple
others, I forget).

I ended up installing HP's network printer management software on a WinNT
workstation, sharing the printer from there, then using Samba's smbclient
as a printcap filter to get output from the NetBSD box out to the printer.
Once you've done that on one machine, you can tell other Unix machines
about the printer "on the NetBSD box", thus further convoluting things.

Obviously if you can get something like what Christos mentioned, that would
be a much cleaner solution.

If you've got a Windows machine on your network and end up needing to do it
the way I describe, I can send you my smbprint script (different from what
comes with Samba) and an example printcap entry.