Subject: Re: pppd newbie question
To: Darek Oskroba <darek@dag.pl>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2000 21:01:04
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 12:11:32PM +0100, Darek Oskroba wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm newbie to BSD.
> Does anybody know how to configure a pppd to work via leased line ?
> I'd like to connect my macintosh to my bsd server via serial cable (read: a
> pair of modems) ?
> My mac server is connected internet via ethernet and has real IP number,
> and the remote mac wants to connect and have acces to internet via leased
> line.
> What should bie the etc/ppp/optins content ?
> What should be the pppd options in the command line?
> Should I use ARA/ppp on remote side with nullmodem 57600 ?

I assume both of your macs run NetBSD.
On the server build an /etc/ppp/options like this:
/dev/tty00
57600
noauth
crtscts
passive
<local_IP_address>:<remote_IP_address>
debug
netmask 255.255.255.255
proxyarp

You need to change <local_IP_address> and <remote_IP_address> to appropriate
values for your network (<local_IP_address> can be the same as your ethernet,
<remote_IP_address> must be one valid addr for your ethernet segment).

On the client build a /etc/ppp/options file with
/dev/tty00
57600
noauth
crtscts
defaultroute
debug

On both side adjust /dev/tty00 to the name of your serial port.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>