Subject: Re: UDMA/66
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2000 15:47:35
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 12:36:15PM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
>> Okay, to avoid confusion, I'll be more specific in my statement: This
>> isn't your everyday IDE controller. "not supporting" in this case means
>> "disks connected to this controller will not be seen by NetBSD (because
>> the controller itself is not recognized) and will not be usable in *any*
>> mode". Period.
>>
>> Unless something has changed in the IDE support since mid December, the
>> HPT controller on the Abit BP6 motherboard is not supported *at all* on
>> NetBSD, not in any 33 modes, including plain old PIO. (I just tried it
>> again to verify that I hadn't missed something earlier).
>>
>> The BP6 has 2 dual channel IDE controllers, each channel supporting one
>> master and one slave drive (theoretically, you could connect 8 IDE
>> devices to this board using just the controllers on the
>> motherboard!). The first controller is the one that's part of the BX
>> chipset, and it is of course supported just fine in all modes it has (it
>> is 33-only). The second is from HighPoint Technologies, it is labelled
>> as "HPT366" in the BIOS screen, and probed during boot as:
>>
>> Triones Technologies product 0x0004 (miscellaneous mass storage, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 19 function 0 not configured
>> Triones Technologies product 0x0004 (miscellaneous mass storage, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 19 function 1 not configured
>
>Oh, OK. It's because it doesn't announce itself as a PCIIDE device.
>The fact that is has 2 functions makes me suspect it's not conformant
>to the pciide specs. I need the docs to know what to do about this :)

I too have a BP6, and I've started looking at this.  I *think* the HPT366
is configured as two single-channel controllers (hence two functions).  At
least this is how it looks from the BIOS device listing.

Last year I got hold of some patches for the Linux driver which include
code for the HPT366.  I haven't got very far (although I've only spent a
couple of evenings on it up to now):

    Fixed pciide driver to attach HPT366 even though it's "miscellaneous
    mass storage".

    pciide now claims that the controller doesn't support bus-mastering DMA.
    It then tries to attach it in compatibility mode, and panics shortly
    after that.

At present the BP6 machine is on 1.4, but I intend to install -current in
the next week or so and see if I can make any progress - unless someone
else is already working on the HPT366.

I may also try installing Linux, just to make sure that the driver source
I'm relying on as documentation does actually work. :-)

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |