Subject: Re: shared library dependencies
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/2000 00:48:02
* UEBAYASHI Masao (masao@nf.enveng.titech.ac.jp) [000212 23:56]:
| I have, similar problem linking readline library to PostgreSQL (psql),
| Python, or Guile. I wonder this is called as interlibrary dependency
| problem.

I have written about this problem already in tech-pkg when I discussed my
packaging tcl-8.2.3. The problem here is libtool. The version we have in
the pkgsrc and the version pkglibtool we use states explicitly in the
documentation that shared library interdependencies are not possible yet! I
don't know if a new version with this feature exists since the last time I
checked (about a month ago).

The solution that was suggested to me (and worked for Tcl/Tk) is to generate
two separate libs and link executables against both libraries.

Of course this is not really good for user programs, as they need to link to
both libraries as well and should not need to, but as long as libtool does not
get changed to support this, I guess we have to live with it.

Bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)