Subject: Re: Bulding the aperture driver
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F6rn_Jemader?= <thoan@ifm.liu.se>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2000 19:29:41
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Thorbj=F6rn Jemader wrote:

> Hi.
>=20
> I've just installed NetBSD 1.4.1 and would like to
> have X running. I've studied the docs and edited
> the configs to the best of my knowledge and it
> doesn't work. (... :0.0 broken...).
>=20
> When I do (as told in docs to capture the error output):
>=20
> startx >& ~/x.log
>=20
> sh complains about bad file descriptor, and any
> other redirection attempts (including 2>) produces
> an empty x.log. So I can't figure out what the error is.
>=20
=09Did you try
=09 startx > ~/x.log 2>&1

=09Try testing things with the 16colour VGA sever first to establish
=09everything else works.

> Secondly, I really would like to have tab completion
> in the shell, and I though csh and ksh would have
> that automatically, but I can't get it to work.
> I've tried set -X vi and set -X vi-tabcompletion
> (approximately - whatever the man pages said)
> with no luck. Any clues?
>=20
=09You probably want to install tcsh or similar from pkgsrc
=09(Read up on packages on the NetBSD website)

> Thirdly: Is the reason for not having emacs in the
> 1.4.1 release a matter of GNU vs BSD licensing or what?
> (vi and I have had out arguments...)=20
>=20
=09For other editors see:
=09http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#editing-files

=09NetBSD aims to provide a well designed, well supported 'core'
=09or programs, and everything else is easily available via pkgsrc.

=09
=09=09David/absolute